Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

toy cars...and wwoofing

Erika--

We are at a new wwoof hosts' farm near Bega (on the coast east of Cooma). We came here on Sunday straight from the last farm. We decided to drive on slightly smaller roads from Braidwood here. We figured we could avoid the highway and see a little country. We were in no hurry. We ended up taking our toy car (no power at all, barely fits us and our bags) through streams and over a 4WD track. I told the girls at one stage, "this is exactly how those 'stupid tourist' stories usually go. I'll definitely show you guys pictures of this later but rest assured, everything was fine and we got here only slightly later than planned.

One of the things I love about wwoofing (volunteering on farms) is that we learn about such unexpected things. We have primarily chosen farms that raise some type of stock and are pretty large so that we can learn about meat and wool production. Along the way, we've learned much more about biodynamics (someday I'll try to explain here, for now google it if you want to know more!), solar power (measured and poured footings for solar panels), strawbale houses (last family had built theirs) and brewing and bottling beer. Yesterday morning, we helped Wayne bottle his latest batch of homebrew. They are trying to be sustainable/self sufficient and part of that process is making everything they consume. I have loved that idea since I was a child. Anyone want to move back to the land with me when I get home?


1 comment:

  1. Jason and I want a self-sustainable farm one day, hopefully sooner rather than later! We'll move onto it with you! :D

    Love, me

    ReplyDelete